Google

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Apples to Oranges Comparison

I ran the Matlab benchmark tool, "bench" on both my Apple iBook and my new Mattern PC. One is a laptop and one is a desktop, different OS's, different architectures, etc. That doesn't really matter to me, I just want to know how long it takes to get a job done. The Mattern PC benchmark score was 5.4X that of the iBook. The stats for the two computers are:

iBook:
Mac OS X 10.3.7
384MB PC2100 RAM
4200 RPM HD
800Mhz G4

Mattern PC:
Fedora Core 3
512MB PC3200 RAM
10,000 RPM HD
3.4 Ghz P4

The interesting thing to me is that the RAM and HD specs are less than 3X better and the processor clock speed is less than 5X. I would assume the dependence would be a weighted average of these components. On top of that, the G4 is supposed to be superior to the P4 in per clock work. Therefore I would think the performance ratio would be <5X. I also ran the Mattern PC with Mandrake 10.0 and the results were similar to that of the Fedora Core 3 results.

5 Comments:

At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The builder of the Mattern PC is so virile that even his computers exude virility. This virility is the reason why the Mattern PC destroyed the iBook, not because of different hardware. You could put a Celeron processor from a six year-old Gateway laptop in the Mattern PC and it would still emasculate the competition.

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger rysolag said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's amazing. Where can I get a Mattern PC?

 
At 10:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mattern PCs are manufactured in Northern Indiana and can be purchased only through the manufacturer.

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard that Mattern PCs was going to buy out Dell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home