Google

Friday, February 04, 2005

BSD is Dead (to me)

Fear the penguin.

I gave FreeBSD a shot at being my workstation. I spent more time on it then I spent on all 7 Linux distributions combined.

While the system was clean and nice, Matlab would just not work correctly. Yes I had it running under the Linux emulation layer, however it would not accept unix system commands. I use this heavily so I am installed Fedora Core 3.

I do see the humor in choosing Linux over BSD because more applications are supported. This is the common argument used by Windows users for not choosing OS X or Linux. However, the difference in choosing Linux for the programs is kind of like not being happy with an elected official in a democracy. You can always vote for someone else next time. If someone doesn't like Linux they can take the code and change what they don't like while still adhering to the standards that allow it to operate Linux programs. This isn't possible in Windows.

1 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So why didn't you take the code to FreeBSD and change what you don't like but still adhere to the standards so you could run Matlab on FreeBSD?

Just because you could didn't mean you actually would. I think that's true for most people. Nothing wrong with it, in fact its the smart decision. People want software that just works. So while having access to the source is nice it isn't as beneficial as many would claim (and even moreso for most Windows users since they couldn't do anything with the source anyway).

-Mikel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home