Google

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Diminishing Returns

I've lately become interested in speeding up the computing cabilities of my Mattern PC. I enjoy the configuration tools that come with KDE but it is supposed to have a lot of bloat and slowness. I've considered switching to something like Fluxbox or XFCE. Before I did though I thought I'd check to see if this really makes a difference. I changed my boot level to run level 3 in /etc/inittab file so that x11 would not boot up.

I ran Matlab benchmark and my own personal benchmark and I was shocked. Both were measurably slower. While I can see that Matlab may have issues because it tries to display output graphically, my program does not. Yet my program very consistently ran 6% slower on a straight command line.

This means I'll be sticking with KDE for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home