Google

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Falling in Love Again

Solaris 10 is available for free on Sparc and x86 platforms. I'm downloading and planning to install this on my work machine. Hopefully the OS is a bit faster than the servers at Sun because I've been waiting about a day and tried multiple times and I still only have 3 of the 4 CDs downloaded.

Solaris was the first Unix I ever used and I liked it a lot. When I first installed Linux I configured it to be as much like Solaris as possible. I'm explecting good Open(Star) Office support since that was the 'native' OS for which it was first written.

I'm afraid though that the excellent Sun C compiler will not be available for x86.

*****************************************
Update: I tried four times but could not get Solaris to install on my machine. Next up is FreeBSD followed by FC3 if that fails.

1 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the updates.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home