Google

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Blackberry Dream is Dead/Monitor Rocks

My hopes of never being without an internet connection at a price less than what I'm paying for cable internet were dashed. Despite assurances from the phone operator that my zip code had really good coverage, I could not get a connection inside my apartment and only got 1 bar out of 5 outside my apartment. The Blackberry is being returned with a full refund. I get much better reception with Verizon inside my apartment so maybe someday they'll decide to charge a reasonable price.

This just confirms what I've heard about T-Mobile, "If they have coverage where you want, they are the best but they have the least coverage out of Verizon, Cingular, Sprint, etc".

My new monitor is awesome though. The DVI cable was full size to full size so I only have it connected to my Mattern PC for now. It does have a serial to serial connection and comes with a cable. I couldn't get it to work right in in Linux but I managed to screw it up so bad that it couldn't load one time, a hardware wizard popped up, and it was immediately fixed. I still don't know how to make that wizard come up without screwing it up first. I do have a mini-DVI to serial adapter but I'm thinking about buying a mini-DVI to DVI adapter so I can watch movies on a purely digital connection.

2 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everyone knows that if you want a high speed connection with a blackberry or like device, you need EVDO coverage. I'm guessing Ypsilanti doesn't have EVDO coverage. Duh.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Dave said...

I would have been happy with any connection. I couldn't even get a signal. My zip code is either a 4/5 or 5/5 signal based on the map. I'm less than 3 miles from the Ann Arbor border which is a fairly major urban area.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home